Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

It was 5:30 a.m. and I was driving to the local coffee shop to grab a couple cups of joe for the wife & myself.  NPR was on, as always, but I couldn't quite understand what was occurring.  Did they just say a plane hit the World Trade Center?  What a dumbass.

I got the coffees and got back in the car.  That's when I heard about the second plane.  Wha...? Oh shit.  

I ran inside, woke the wife up, and turned on the TV.  It was awful.  I cried.  I feared.  I hated.  Birds stopped singing and dogs stopped barking.  People screamed but were silent against the noise.  A giant fell.  Silence.  Planes everywhere were grounded.




What's your story, no matter where you are/were in the world?  Please.  I invite your comments below.

2 comments:

  1. I was asleep in Hawaii when the first plane hit.....a phone call from the mainland at about 3 am got me up and the TV on. Just in time to see the second plane hit. My jaw dropped. Then the towers collapsed. Insane.

    I stepped outside into the darkness and watched fighter planes escort airliners into the airport in Kahului. Impressive.

    While the rest of the world stopped, I had to head off to work. Most of the tourists had no idea what had gone on. Bizarre.

    After work I went home and continued to watch the coverage (it was odd seeing Tom Brokaw walk off the set as he turned coverage over to other reporters-that us something you never see on a news broadcast). I found a small American flag and taped it onto the antenna of my truck. No way were the bad guys gonna win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Chris. I received a number of email responses to this, all with the same passion you show. Some folks were numbed, others incited, others depressed. I'll try to get permission from them to post their emails on this thread.

    ReplyDelete