So... How do you angle on rounded hull Bark in surf? Do you use the rudder? Seems like you'd suffer the same fate as yakkers... But then I've never tried... On a prone pb that is. Doc aka wave farmer at surfinoregon.com
Hey Doc, it's a bit of a balancing act. We were using a 10'6" sprint board which doesn't have a strong rail line but does have the hand grips you see as well as a set on the rails behind my daughter's feet. No rudder on this board, just a single fin. The squared off tail does contribute to the ability to control direction/trim.
It's just like the one seen here (other than the color): http://www.santabarbarasurfer.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1344&d=1268857091
So, when we caught waves, I would slide my body down to where my lower 1/2 was off the back of the board. I'd occasionally kick my feet to keep from dragging and direct the board using the hand grips in back. I would also twist/lean into it... which could explain my recent back issues. Doh! However, the joy my daughter got out of doing this made it a blast.
The sprint boards ride waves really well as long as you're far back. Trimming isn't easy, but it can be achieved with a little work. I believe, again, it's a function of that squared off tail. The 12' CTs also ride waves, just not quite as well. 14' CT boards ride a little less well and the CA unlimiteds are the toughest. [Not sure about the HI unlimited boards as I've not tried to ride waves with one... yet.]
Have a great one, Doc. Thanks so much for your input. Lets me know that people really are seeing the blog.
That's awesome!
ReplyDeleteSo...
ReplyDeleteHow do you angle on rounded hull Bark in surf?
Do you use the rudder?
Seems like you'd suffer the same fate as yakkers...
But then I've never tried...
On a prone pb that is.
Doc aka wave farmer at surfinoregon.com
Hey Doc, it's a bit of a balancing act. We were using a 10'6" sprint board which doesn't have a strong rail line but does have the hand grips you see as well as a set on the rails behind my daughter's feet. No rudder on this board, just a single fin. The squared off tail does contribute to the ability to control direction/trim.
ReplyDeleteIt's just like the one seen here (other than the color): http://www.santabarbarasurfer.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1344&d=1268857091
So, when we caught waves, I would slide my body down to where my lower 1/2 was off the back of the board. I'd occasionally kick my feet to keep from dragging and direct the board using the hand grips in back. I would also twist/lean into it... which could explain my recent back issues. Doh! However, the joy my daughter got out of doing this made it a blast.
The sprint boards ride waves really well as long as you're far back. Trimming isn't easy, but it can be achieved with a little work. I believe, again, it's a function of that squared off tail. The 12' CTs also ride waves, just not quite as well. 14' CT boards ride a little less well and the CA unlimiteds are the toughest. [Not sure about the HI unlimited boards as I've not tried to ride waves with one... yet.]
Have a great one, Doc. Thanks so much for your input. Lets me know that people really are seeing the blog.
-Steve S.