Sunday, April 17, 2011

Race #5: SBCC -- The ZERO BUMP "Downwinder."

Saturday was the Santa Barbara Cold Current race, the first in the CA Downwind Race series as presented by Honolua.  This is Robert's race.

Robert, giving the pre race briefing
It was to be a nine mile downwinder, and as of Tuesday the forecasts looked fantastic.  And then they changed so that less wind was forecast.  And then they changed even more.  And then reality set in:  Zero wind, zero bump, beautiful but HOT weather, and a current running against us.  Awesome.

The Course
Pre-Race Board Storage
Two hundred plus people showed up with racers from San Diego to Santa Cruz, a Hawaiian or two, and possibly more!

It was a long race for the early season.  I managed to stay in the lead pack with Vela (stock SUP), Abbot (unlimited paddleboard), Maingot (another 14' paddleboard) & Jack Bark (on a stock - 12' - paddleboard!), we pulled and pushed and scraped our way down the course.  I made a major logistical error and with about one mile to go Maingot did what any great racer would do: pulled ahead and took the win.  In the end, on our 14' boards, Maingot and I were third and fourth overall, only beaten by 2 guys on unlimiteds.  Jack came in a few places later and the first stock overall.  Essentially, of the top 6 finishers, and maybe more than that but I didn't check, all were on BARK boards.  Nick ended up pulling into third overall on 14' and second in the 18-39 division.

Stumbling across the finish line
Stupid face (coated in Vertra) but stoked to be done
Final standings of those on 14' Boards.
Maingot: 1st place 14' 18-39 division.  Bobroff: 2nd place.  Stirling: 3rd place.
Shlens: 1st place 14' 40-49 division.  Caldwell: 2nd place.  Shikiya: 3rd place.

Nick and I post race
Post race GRINDS, courtesy Santa Barbara Chicken Ranch.  So good.
Other good standings to post:

UL Paddleboards: 
18-39 Division:  Eric Abbott, unknown, unknown
40-49 Division:  Mike D (Santa Cruz racer), unknown, unknown
Legends Division:  John Dutton, Woody Maxwell, Dave Stringer [THAT is a Harbor Rats sweep.]

Stock Paddleboards:
18-39 Division:  Jack Bark, Hogan K (really cool guy from Santa Cruz), Damo M (Harbor Rat!)
40-49 Division: Jay Scheckman, Casey Annis, [I'm sorry I don't know who was third]

Women's Paddleboards:
1st place:  Heather Allen!

Good times.

-Steve


(All photos courtesy Eric M. & Honolua.  THANK YOU, AGAIN, HONOLUA AND ROBERT!)

No comments:

Post a Comment