Saturday, January 22, 2011

Kandy

As mentioned in an earlier post, I have a 6'3" 6 channel board from Russell Hoyte that is amazing.  In case you don't know Russell, for years he was the head shaper at CI.  He went out on his own about the time of the Burton buyout, and now has his own label and does some side work for others.

At CI, Russell made me a MAGICAL 6'4" 6 channel round pin.  The board served me well for years, and is now happily housed on Maui waiting for my return.  Here it was when new:




Unfortunately, at my very first session at a certain break in Oxnard the board met the lip of a big wave...

Shattered.

My new 4'1 & my new 2'3".

Ugh.

It was repaired incredibly well, and served me well for 3 more years!

Surfing north of Point Conception, post repair.  Yes... I am a kook.
So time passed, I decided to leave the board on Maui for when I visited, and I needed a new one.  I wanted a slightly smaller version, and Russell created the below.  6'3" x 18-1/2" x 2-5/16", round pin, 6 channel, bamboo fins.  Wow.  Sure the camo Curren band is gone, but I still love it.  Used it this morning at Rincon before the crowd arrived (paddled out at 5:00, went in at 7:45 -- home early enough that family harmony was maintained) and got some amazing rides.  Two freeway waves and two significant barrels will stay with me from this session.

6 Channel Kandy...

Deck
The drive train.

Amazing craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment