Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Jay Race 2012

Had a great time up in Santa Cruz for the Jay Race.

A beautiful, windy day in Santa Cruz.
This was just south of our finish area.
Notice those white caps at sea.
I met a new-to-me but long time stock paddler named Matt Sack who apparently has done all the Molokai races. Also met up with a lot of old friends I hadn't seen in a while and made some new ones. A great day on the water.

 I went up with the goal of racing the best stock race I could. The prior course record for stock was 2:08:20. With some downwind conditions on the way back, I managed to beat that with a 2:03:38.  Stoked!

Coming in at the end feeling good.

Here's the thing: Jack Bark, on his stock, had a time of 2:00:18!

Jack cruising in.

*The above three photos courtesy of Jason MacMurray.

The awards ceremony, post race:

Bob Pearson on the far left, Kim Moriarty on the far right.
Five of the Top six, Left to Right:
Jack Bark, me, Greg Ford, Deon Lourens, and Jim Montalbano.
Missing is Matt Sack from HI.
*Photo courtesy of the Bark family.
My race stats as recorded on my Garmin 305.

 


 Thank you Santa Cruz for hosting us!

No comments:

Post a Comment