Friday, February 4, 2011

Memories of Summer 2010

At the end of the summer last year, a pod of blue whales were hanging in the South Bay.  Taking a day in the middle of the week, Joel and I blasted out there to check them out.  We didn't have a camera; we didn't plan on taking (or having) any pictures.

To our great fortune, Joe Bark was working the Baywatch boat that day.  Joe had a camera.  Good times!

The sprint out (I'm on Joel's DC stock, he's on my UL).
Joel -- that is an EIGHTEEN foot board!

Joel & I.

Joel on the left, me on the right.  He's on an 18' board.  I'm on a 12' board.  Whoa.

Mola mola
http://www.oceanlight.com/html/mola_mola.html

The largest animal on earth.

Joel/me.

Palos Verdes in the background.

In case you're wondering, we got REALLY close to those whales... or rather, they got REALLY close to us.  Within 6'.  It was an amazing experience.  There were a lot of smiles, laughs, and hoots that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment